Golf is a sport that perfectly combines nature and physical activity.
But, there will always be some electronic (like the one I’ll be covering in this Garmin Approach S40 review) accessories that you will need to further improve your game and reduce shots.
Any golfer would like to have a GPS (global positioning system) to know exactly the distance the ball traveled and some device that offers all the exact information of the golf course where you are standing and obtain complete records of your golf course daily game.
In a Glance
Garmin Approach S40 is a popular stylish GPS golf smartwatch. With a terrific accuracy, long-lasting battery life and sunlight-visible display. This GPS smartwatch is indeed the best golf GPS!
But, if you want a complete review, keep reading!
Because I will not only talk about the excellent features this smartwatch offers but also about the usefulness it offers on the golf course.
Some tools that will make your life easier, and things that no salesperson will tell you.
Are you curious to learn more about this golf smartwatch, lightweight with touchscreen display?
If so, let’s get started!
Garmin Approach S40 Review
The exact model of the smartwatch is Approach S40, and it was designed by the Garmin company to include it in its line of GPS golf watches.
It is a beautiful watch with an affordable price considering Garmin’s premium versions’ range, specifications, and price.
In other words, it offers a cost-benefit ratio that you should take advantage of if you have the money to make this quality investment.
We know what you are wondering from the beginning is: What makes this Garmin Approach S40 smartwatch so special?
Well, these are the characteristics that you should know before thinking about buying it:
Why Garmin Approach S40 is Considered as The Best Golf Smartwatch?
This product is a handy tool for any golf lover who wants to know the field he is playing.
The modern and elegant design of the S40 GPS smartwatch allows it to be used on and off the golf course, making it the perfect companion for formal events or walks around town.
Also, it is always possible to use a different silicone band to match the watch with your clothes.
Here is what I liked the most on the Garmin Approach S40:
- It is preloaded with over 41,000 golf course maps from around the world.
- When GPS is ON, the watch automatically detects the field you are in and gives you the related information.
- It is possible to synchronize it with your smartphone and receive notifications of calls, messages, emails, alarms, and other relevant notifications.
- The Approach S40 can be paired with the Garmin Approach CT10 to automatically track each shot and generate a detailed report of the ball hit and location.
- The smartwatch shows exactly the actual space of the green in which you are located, and you can manually drag the location of the pin for greater precision.
Do you like the spirit of competition?
Garmin Approach S40 application is available for Android and IOS allowing you to upload your games’ statistics in real-time, compete in the leaderboards in any of the 41,000 golf courses available on the platform, know the number of steps you took and the possibility of competing with your friends at any moment.
How Does The Garmin Approach S40 work?
The S40 features sound pretty good, right?
However, we always have to know how they actually work and what would be the procedure to use them on a golf course usually.
- Turn on the smartwatch.
- Link your smartphone.
- Upload your score information if you already have another Garmin watch.
The main attraction is that it offers several useful tools for a round of golf and can be activated by pressing the button above and selecting “Play Golf.”
After selecting this option, the watch will begin to search for the satellite to offer its exact location (this could take up to 60 seconds) and automatically recognize the golf course where you are located.
If a list of golf courses appears, you must select one to start playing.
Has our Garmin Approach S40 review already convinced you that this is what you need? Click here to check the latest price on Amazon.
Understand The Screen That Shows The Holes and More Functions
After the device has recognized the golf course, the Approach S40 will display all the information you need about the hole you are playing on, such as:
- The number of the hole you are playing on and the par of the hole.
- Indicator in which hole you are playing.
- Map of how the Green looks like.
- The distance to the front, center, and back of the Green (these are the big numbers).
Do you think that is all that this smartwatch offers? The answer is NO!
If you touch the button at the top of the smartwatch again, you can find a menu with more functions, which are:
- Move the flag that indicates the reference location where you want to go.
- Obstacles and distance close to obstacles on the current hole.
- Change holes manually.
- Change the putting Green, if there is more than one for a single hole.
- Scorecard to see the score of your ride.
- Full route information such as points, steps and number of shots.
- See the distance of the last shot with the Garmin Autoshot feature.
- Save the location of an object or obstacle.
- It shows the time of sunrise, sunset, and twilight of the day.
How To Use Approach S40 GPS Obstacles Feature?
This great GPS smartwatch offers a complete section to give information about obstacles that will be in your way, how far away they are, and what the blocks are.
To activate this option:
- Press the arrow at the bottom of the screen that shows the Green information.
- Pressing this arrow should bring up a screen with:
- Obstacle name that is closest to or the one you are analyzing.
- The distances to the front and back of the obstacle.
- A semicircle representing the Green.
- A letter specifies the order of the selected hazard, the distance to the dogleg, and is located where the fairway is.
- Two arrows to select the rest of the obstacles that this hole has.
Since we already know its characteristics and a little about its operations, in this Garmin Approach S40 review, I’ll also talk about some advantages and some observations that I have noticed along with other customers who have expressed their opinion about this GPS golf smartwatch.
|- The ideal golf gps watch that maintain elegance with a technological touch.||- Synchronization issues with some phone brands.|
|-Lightweight, stylish and resistant to small accidental rains and sweat.||- A noticeable slowness when changing the main menu, widgets and the scorecard.|
|The Garmin Connect application lets you locate your device if it gets lost, help you analyze, share, and monitor your statistics.|
|The hazard and layout distances are incredibly easy to use.|
|The display is easy to read even in bright sunlight.|
|It automatically picks up ~95% of swings (meaning that you'll rarely have to add a swing/shot manually).|
|The features of the watch are pretty intuitive after you've used it a couple times.|
Conclusion – Is Garmin Approach S40 The Best Golf GPS Smartwatch?
In conclusion, I highly recommend that if you have the opportunity to purchase the Approach S40 (Check the availability here, cause sometimes it goes out of stock due to high demand) and you like to take your golf experience to the next level, do not hesitate for a moment to buy this quality golf GPS watch!
Garmin, the leading developer of activity trackers GPS units, has many excellent smartwatches, but the Garmin Approach S40 is still, by far, one of the most popular stylish GPS golf smartwatch in the market!